What we learned
“What makes us tick” showed us the power that comes from people working together on what matters to them.
• encourage people to take action in their own neighbourhood
• build a sense of belonging for more and more people
• fulfill people’s desire to show they care and make a difference
From the personal experiences shared during “What makes us tick”, we identified the themes around which people had built a shared sense of belonging:
• The community speaking up and taking action when others have plans for their neighbourhood.
• Helping each other to grow food.
• Creating and sharing gardens.
The actions of vulnerable people being a catalyst, creating opportunities for others in a neighbourhood:
• By taking action to support local campaigns.
• Helping each other.
• Being at the heart of a community.
• The history shared through living in the same neighbourhood.
• Their faith.
• Bringing up children together.
• Looking out for vulnerable people.
And the example of one person saying: “I’m not having this.”